Friday, July 6, 2012

Window Chalkboard


I know, I know, I have a million signs.  Whatevs, I’m going to have one more.  Our guests are going to be very well informed.  Believe it or not, this one was the most interesting (i.e. last minute) sign out of all of them. 

I had procured this window at Canton for a mere $5, thus deeming it the Best Buy out of all my wedding crap.  That’s right, I’m calling it my wedding crap.  I honestly didn’t know what I was going to do with it, but for $5, I couldn’t pass it up.

After a few months, I started thinking I could use it as the drink menu.  I thought it would look really cute leaning against our drink bar, and it would serve to let our guests know what their beverage options would be.  It conveniently has 3 panes, so I figured one for sodas, one for beer, and one for wine.


I have decided to leave its main function as a drink menu, but instead of using glass chalk to write directly on the window pane, I am going to turn it into a chalkboard sign.  I’m still not really sure why I decided to add this last minute diy, but I have.  So here it goes.

Ahhhh.....good old Newt.  Back on topic.
Monday night, I spent an hour covering the wood frame in masking tape, so that when I spray the chalk spray paint, only the glass will be affected.  I also chose to use my brain, and left a few of the ends doubled over, so that the tape can be easily removed at the end of the project.

Last night, I sprayed the glass in a few coats of chalkboard spray paint, letting it dry between coats to make it look even.


And of course, it couldn’t be that easy, so on the 4th of July I had to add a few extra coats because you could still see thru the window in some spots that weren’t covered heavily enough by the spray paint.  After letting it dry some more, I finally was able to rip up the doubled over edges and remove the tape revealing a window chalkboard drink sign! 


Honestly, one of my easiest projects yet.  Nothing had to be re-engineered, re-cut, or frustratingly cried over.  Success!

1 comment: